Join a dynamic organization at a time of growth and change. The Southern Maine Agency on Aging is seeking a strategic, energetic, experienced and hands-on Communications Specialist to lead the Agency’s content production, brand awareness, PR strategy, and day-to-day communications requests from program teams. The ideal candidate is an outstanding writer, a natural storyteller, and a skilled project manager who enjoys producing content and disseminating it through multiple channels.
The Communications Specialist is responsible for developing and producing fresh content for the Agency’s website, press releases, social media sites, donor communications, client mailings, and other materials to convey and promote a consistent image of SMAA to both internal and external constituencies. The Communications Specialist is SMAA’s direct contact for media inquiries and press releases, and coordinates spokespeople and the crisis communications plan. Using exceptional relationship-building and storyteller skills, the Communications Specialist will work closely with senior leadership, program managers, staff, volunteers and clients to promote the work of Southern Maine Agency on Aging.
Content Production, Distribution, and Organization
- Produce and manage an annual communications calendar
- Work closely with SMAA’s program managers and program teams to produce, design, and promote outreach and education materials for older adults and their care partners
- Create and manage content to effectively tell the stories of SMAA’s clients and volunteers
- Execute the Agency’s regular newsletters and updates
- Produce fresh content to be used in a variety of SMAA’s communications channels
- Ensure a strong pipeline of stories by engaging staff and volunteers. Enlist the support of graphic designers, photographers, and videographers as needed
- Responsible for producing SMAA’s Senior News publication: generate content; work with advertisers; produce and distribute to local channels
- Research and write feature stories, news releases, and other copy for print, electronic, and online publications, including SMAA’s website
- Create and maintain a strong list of media outlets and reporters
- Maintain a strong relationship with the media; engage local media, nurturing community connections, and generating press releases and media update.
- Handle media requests and inquiries for interviews, statements etc.
- Assist in communication of strategies or messages from senior leadership
- Managing internal communications resources/inventory, including organizing data, lists, and assets (such as photos, graphics, flyers, invitations, etc.)
- Assisting with planning and execution of receptions and events as needed
- At least 5+ years of prior related, professional-level work experience in Communications or Marketing
- Experience in web design and content production is a plus
- Experience in copywriting and editing
- Solid understanding of project management principles
- Working knowledge of MS Office; photo and video-editing software is an asset
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
- Outstanding organizational and planning abilities. High attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent years’ experience
- Flexibility and adaptability required
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Familiarity with Adobe Suite a plus
- Knowledge and experience using a variety of social media platforms
Cover letter and resume will be accepted until the position is filled.
SMAA is an equal opportunity employer